White Hall Ruritan Scholarships
The White Hall Ruritan Club annually awards three scholarships intended to help young men and women of the Crozet/White Hall/Western Albemarle County area in securing formal training beyond high school:
The Dan Maupin Memorial Scholarship
Why WHRC Honors Dan Maupin: Dan (1925-2015) spent his life as a farmer in White Hall, on family land going back to the 18th century. But he has had a far greater impact on his community than this simple statement conveys. He helped found the White Hall Ruritan Club to bring the people of White Hall together and, along with his wife Bettie, was a long-time member of Mt. Moriah Methodist Church. He also served in the military in Europe after World War II. Dan was always the first person to welcome new members to the Club and Church, and the first to volunteer to help at community events. His fortitude, his generosity, and his commitment to community make Dan Maupin someone to emulate.
The Walter F. Perkins Memorial Scholarship
Why WHRC Honors Walter Perkins: Walter (1942-2004) served his community as the White Hall District’s County Supervisor, a School Board member, and a State and County Board Member for the Piedmont Virginia Community College. He was a leader in conservation, including introducing conservation easements and the first solar agricultural well. He started as a Forester, and became a forestry and agriculture expert for state committees, the state Forestry Camp, and schoolchildren. Walter enjoyed experimental forestry, achieving what others said could not be done; his property is still studied by forestry students. He was a 36-year member of the White Hall Ruritan Club and was (with his wife Jo Ann) founder of the Crozet Community Association. He loved a challenge, helping people, and improving Virginia.
The White Hall Ruritan Club Scholarship
This is a new scholarship generously funded by the Ruritan National Foundation, individual donors, and by the club.
Maupin Scholarship: $2000
Perkins Scholarship: $2000
The White Hall Ruritan Club Scholarship: $1000
Important Notice for 2023
Applications for the Maupin Scholarship for 2023 are welcome
The Perkins Scholarship and the Club Scholarship for 2023 are being awarded to students attending Piedmont Virginia Community College. Applications for these scholarships are made through the PVCC Financial Resources Center, www.pvcc.edu, and firstname.lastname@example.org, (434.961.5204).
To donate to these scholarship funds, please contact us at WhiteHallRuritans@gmail.com
An application form is available here
- Who may apply for a grant? Any high school senior or graduate (or equivalent) living in the Crozet/White Hall area who plans to attend college/technical school within one year of application for this scholarship. Applications may be made for one or more of the available scholarship grants.
- How are recipients of grants determined? The White Hall Ruritan Education Committee and Executive Board will determine the recipients based on financial need, character, scholarship, academic promise and desire by the applicant for further education or training.
- How often may a student apply? Grants are made annually. A scholarship applicant or recipient may reapply.
- How is a grant disbursed? A grant is disbursed directly to the college/technical school attended by the scholarship recipient.
- What is the deadline for applying? Application, school record and reference letter must be received by April 30.